WordPress 2.8 has been released just a few days ago. Here are the most notable features of 2.8:
- New drag-and-drop widgets admin interface and new widgets API
- Syntax highlighting and function lookup built into plugin and theme editors
- Allow the dashboard widgets to be arranged in up to four columns
- Allow configuring the number of items to show on management pages with an option in Screen Options
- Improved database performance
- Support IIS 7.0 URL Rewrite Module
- Faster loading of admin pages via script compression and concatenation
- Improvements to the script loader: allows plugins to queue scripts for the front end head and footer, adds hooks for server side caching of compressed scripts, adds support for ENFORCE_GZIP constant (deflate is used by default since it’s faster)
- Load the minified versions of the scripts by default, define(‘SCRIPT_DEBUG’, true); can be used to load the development versions
- And many more!
For a list of all features, please have a look here.
You can download WordPress 2.8 here.