The app developers Kavcom have finally released the remake of the 1996 classic Z for £2.99 on the iTunes store.
For those of you who do not know the game, unlike traditional RTS games, you do not collect resources – you capture sectors, which in turn will allow you to manufacture units quicker, or allow you to have a tactical advantage because sectors can contain factories or turrets. Originally developed by the Bitmap Brothers the game was very well received, and it was the first game I was ever bought by my parents.
The game plays very well on the iPad, the videos are the same as in the original release. Gameplay itself hasn’t changed one bit, it is still very fast paced and can get very hectic at times. Swipe gestures and multiple selection of units works really well. Sound effects are nicely done, both on the music and sound effects front. (btw, you can change the sound and music settings in the iPad Settings, not in the app itself)
Getting ready for carnage:
- Easy to pick up gameplay, hardly changed from the original
- Easy to use mini-map and building menus
- Great music and sound effects follow the 1996 original to a T!
- A few translation mistakes
- Building menu is a bit small and may provide problems for people with bigger fingers
- Seemingly no ability to replay videos
Overall this is a fantastic game, regardless of you having played the original or not. You really ought to give it a try for that price!
You can grab the game from here.