Brothers in Arms – Hell’s Highway is a wonderful game, it received an overall 82 score on Metacritic and is generally a wonderful game – if you are one of the lucky ones to get it to run from the word “Go” that is. Like some users I was greeted with the following message after installing it on my Vista machine:
biahh.exe has stopped working
…followed by a lengthy error message indicating a “General protection fault”. Not sure how to fix it? Read more on how to fix the problem…
So you have a XP or Vista machine and just installed Brothers in Arms HH (if you preordered from a site like Game then you will have it a day before the store release date usually) and want to play, but instead you are greeted with an “biahh.exe has stopped working” message or a more lengthy message such as the one to the right.
Annoying, especially if you thought all was good and well on your system and there is no possible way anything else on your pc might be causing any problems: your antivirus is temporarily disabled, all other programs in the background have been stopped – nothing, still the same error. Fret not!
Luckily it is only a driver issue. If you noticed this error then your graphics and more importantly your PhysX drivers aren’t up to date. At the time of writing:
- The latest Nvidia driver is 178.13 (September 25, 2008),
- The latest ATi driver is 8.9 (September 17, 2008).
- The latest stable PhysX driver is 8.09.04 (September 17, 2008).
If your drivers are older then please do the following:
- Uninstall your current Physx driver (even the one that came with the game during the installation procedure), then your graphics driver
- Download the latest drivers: Nvidia, Ati, PhysX
- Install the driver first, reboot if required, then install the PhysX software driver
- Enjoy the game
Wow, 869 views in under 5 hours, must be doing something right SEO-wise
Following the comments below, here are a couple of additional steps that can be taken to get the game to run:
- Install SP1 if you are on Vista
- If you have downloaded the game on steam check for the game’s integrity and make sure it the check went to 100%, otherwise redownload it. Please also note Gearbox’ response about the Steam versions
- If there is a crash after the spinning helmet then there seems to be a texture loading issue. Have you tried to run the game on the lowest settings?
- If the game appears in the task manager, nothing happens and it then disappears then this seems to be a permission issue (same issue as iTunes had with version 7.0.2 on some Vista machines). Reboot, try again.
Hello everyone from the official Gearbox and Ubisoft forums, many thanks for coming by. 1300+ views from those two forums alone, happy days!
Here are a few more suggestions if the game doesn’t run properly, lacks sound or crashes mid-game in any of the first missions:
- Set the resolution to default (800×600) and change all advanced options to medium and start the game. Once you start playing the first mission (note you need to actually take control of the action) press ESCAPE and quit to main menu. Change the resolution to your normal / preferred resolution and set your advanced option to the settings you want (e.g. high)
- If you cannot hear any sound then find an updated sound driver and install the OpenAL driver.
- XP SP2 and SP3 users: update your Windows C++ Redistributable Package.
Hello everyone from the official Steampowered forums and PC Action.de, thanks for stopping by. If you have a digg account, please spread the word and digg it, I would really appreciate it
Before updating this posts, please can I ask you to read this statement please:
I am not affiliated to Gearbox or Ubisoft or Valve / Steam in any way, I merely wrote this article to help users with similar problems to mine to enjoy the game to the fullest as it was intended to. Please do not email me about any problems you have. – Alex
That aside, here are a couple of additional suggestions if you still cannot get the game to run:
- ATi users: please install the Ati driver only, not the CCC
- ATi users: if you have a crossfire setup please use the PhysX driver from the BiAHH DVD in combination with ATi’s tray tools. In most cases with solves a number of issues with framerate problems and crashes after checkpoints
- Nvidia SLI and ATi Crossfire users: turning Vsync off on driver-level as well as within the options may reduce crashes on mission loads
Hello everyone from Gamespot, IGN and Gamespy, thanks for stopping by. If you have a digg account, please spread the word and digg it, I would really appreciate it
Another potential fix for the game (many thanks to reader symbadawg for finding this in the Nvidia forums):
- Go to start menu, run, type regedit.
- Navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management
- Find the entry called “PagedPoolSize”
- Modify the entry (in hexadecimal) to 10000000 or (in decimal) to 268435456.
- Reboot and play
Please note that any editing in your registry is done at your own risk!!
Hope I could help, see you online!