Adobe announced in February this year that its latest version of Flash Lite 3.1 Distributable Player has been released for beta testing.
This new player will enable developers and integrators to create rich, expressive applications targeted to the latest version of Adobe’s Flash technology, with the ability to distribute their apps including the runtime installer to millions of open OS mobile devices with a streamlined workflow and reduced time to market.
For now, the distributable player is only available on Nokia S60 and Windows Mobile devices, but more devices are to follow very soon…
An integrated, updatedable solution
The runtime is part of a solution that includes the Flash Lite 3.1 Distributable Player and Adobe Mobile Packager, with authoring support provided via Adobe Flash CS4 Professional and Adobe Device Central CS4 (or via Adobe Flash CS3 Professional and Adobe Device Central CS3). Adobe Mobile Packager is a desktop tool enabling developers to transform an swf file into an install-package for S60’s and Windows Mobile devices.
The distributable player works in a similar way to Adobe’s Flash 10 Player – once installed and if you have a mobile device that allows OTA (over-the-air) updates, the application will update itself, ensuring that every user has the latest version of the mobile player installed.
The distributable player solution allows you to create rich mobile applications that:
- Target the latest Flash Lite player, by mimicking the successful Flash Player desktop model of content triggered downloads but for applications. Developers no longer need to worry about whether the device has the latest Flash Lite runtime.
- Reach millions of open OS smartphone users in the US, UK, Italy, Spain and through free direct-to-consumer distribution, new off-deck aggregator partners (GetJar, Thumbplay, Zed), or your existing distribution channels.
- Improve end user experience through easy installation and visual icons for Flash Lite applications.
Easy distribution and marketing
There are several ways that a user can discover the application you developed, depending on the distribution channel, some examples of how the consumer may discover the application are:
- Catalog of one of Adobe’s Aggregator partners such as GetJar, Thumbplay and Zed
- Your own/the aggregator/other distribution channel desktop or mobile website
- A print or TV ad, with an SMS shortcode or web address
At the moment, Adobe’s Flash Lite solution is only available on Windows Mobile and S60 devices in India, Italy, Spain, UK, and the U.S., however additional countries will be added over time.
If you would like to give this new distributable player a try and work on your own mobile Flash application, why not have a look at the link below.